Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Equestrian Style & A Lamp Makeover

Although I am bi-polar and can never really 'nail' my design style, there is one design style that I really love that I believe will never go out of style and that is Equestrian! It is extremely classic, and it has become really popular in the blogosphere and homes today. Case in point:
 
via isuwannee
via roost
via roost
via apartment therapy
 Classic?!, right? Anyways, one day I was out and about at a local thrift store when I came across this bad boy:

Yup, that's an ugly brown, shiny horse head lamp that I found for wait for it, $1.99! Despite my mother's skeptical glares, I bought the horse head lamp because I knew that I could transform him into something I would love and that could bring a little equestrian style to my own space. So what I did was just tape off the brass detail at the top, wipe him down, and give him a couple of coats of white spray paint and a couple hours later, I ended up with this:
I bought the lamp shade at target for around $7.00 I think. I'm still not sure about it, I think it may be too big, but for now it remains. I also meant to give the lamp a coat of clear lacquer to make it shiny but never got around to it! I really would like to have some sort of a base made for it, perhaps lucite? just to make it look a bit more substantial. And lastly, I would like to line the lamp shade with gold paper to add some interest. We'll see if I ever actually get around to doing those things but for now, I like the way it is. Know what's funny about all of this? I found a nearly identical lamp for sale on 1stDibs for hundreds! (an extremely high-end version of Craiglist for those of you who aren't familiar). Take a look:
via 1stdibs
via 1stdibs
Isn't that crazy? It's almost perfectly identical, except for the price tag. It was also funny to be reading a blog one day and seeing that Grace Bonney of Design Sponge has a similar lamp in her living room which was featured in Lonny Magazine. Check it out:
via twolovelyspaces
I love that her lamp is a fun color which adds a nice pop of color to her living room, and definitely adds that equestrian flare but in a unique, unexpected way. Despite all the things I still haven't completed with my lamp, I still love it and although it's a far cry from the eye candy at the beginning of the post, I think it adds a touch of equestrian style to my desk, and the price wasn't bad either! What about you, have you ever rehabbed a lamp? Or maybe you've added something equestrian to your space?

No comments:

Post a Comment